Healthy Grandfamilies is a collaboration between Family Services of Marion and Harrison Counties, Tygart Valley United Way, and the Marion and Taylor County School Systems.
Healthy Grandfamilies is a series of free discussion groups to provide information and resources to grandparents who are raising one or more grandchildren. Designed as a series of ten discussion groups and follow-up services. Healthy Grandfamilies is taught by experts in the topic areas from the community. Each discussion group provides valuable resources along with childcare for attendees and refreshments. Participants will receive a certificate of completion, a gift card, and three months of follow-up services for family support.
- Parenting in the 21st century
- Communication: When no one talks and everyone texts
- Technology & Social Media: the dangers, pitfalls, and pulses
- Nutrition: Balancing diets when everyone is "on the go"
- Legal Issues & Documents: Getting past all the legal issues and learn "who is really in charge"
- Health Literacy & Self Care: How to take care of your own helath issues in this new family dynamic
- Healthy Lifestyles & Stress Management: Learn how to manage your stress and the stress of your grandchildren
- Navigating the Public School System: Learn about IEPs, 504 plans, and other resources
- Family Response to Addiction
- Family Relationship: A new dynamic
Upcon completing the series of discussion groups, participants are provided three months of free follow-up services from a social worker. Services include:
- Help locating community resources
- Confidential assistance in meeting the unique needs of your family situation
- Advocacy services as needed
For More Information
Family Service of Marion and Harrion Counties