Appointments are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
You will schedule your appointment by clicking the button below or calling 304-366-4550.
You can choose to either drop-off your paperwork or to have an in-person appointment.
If you drop-off, you will bring your forms at your scheduled time and then return to pick it up when completed within 2-3 business days.
If you choose in-person, your taxes will be prepared by the IRS trained volunteer while you wait.
IRS trained volunteers will prepare your return.
United Way Office- 221 Washington Street
Pierpont Community & Technical College- 500 Galliher Drive
United Way Office- Wood Tech Center- 10 11th Street
Barbour Community Garden Market- 107 South Main Street
Five Rivers Public Library- 301 Walnut Street
Taylor County Senior Center- 52 Trap Springs Road
File Online for Free
Want to do your own taxes?
Safe, easy, secure
Powered by TaxSlayer software
Not in our coverage area?
Find Other Free Tax Prep Sites Around West Virginia
WHAT TO BRING
- Social Security card for you, your spouse and any dependents
- Photo ID for yourself and your spouse, if filing jointly
- Income and expense documentation (W-2, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-G, SSA-1099, 1099-NEC, etc.) for 2023
- Copies of the previous year’s federal and state tax returns, if available
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit (a voided check or document from your bank is acceptable)
- Form WV/SCTC-1, if you are eligible for the WV Homestead Credit or Senior Citizen Tax Credit
- Form 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, if you have Marketplace Coverage
- Child Tax Credit Letter
- Any legal papers regarding custody or tax arrangements for dependents
- Any letters from IRS including Identity Protection PIN letter
- If you pay for daycare, bring a statement showing amount paid and providers information
- If you think it is a tax document, bring it. It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Your spouse must be present to sign required forms if filing jointly.
OUT OF SCOPE RETURNS
Our tax preparers are certified to prepare a variety of tax returns, including Schedule Cs, itemized returns, and Schedule Ds. However, due to IRS regulations for VITA sites, we are unable to prepare tax returns with the following characteristics:
- Rental property income or expenses
- Minister tax returns with parsonage/housing allowance
- Taxpayers with dual citizenship
- Mortgage Assistance Payments (Form 1098-MA)
- Schedule C with:
- Business use of home
- Net losses
- Expenses for employees or contract labor
- Cost of goods sold (inventory)
This is not a comprehensive list; depending on the documentation provided at the time of your appointment, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to prepare and file your tax return.
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and couples, particularly those with children. Through its VITA program, United Way is working to help all families receive what they are due. In addition to being a financial boost for working people, the EITC boosts the local economy. Research has shown that the EITC encourages work, reduces poverty and leads to long-term gains in child health and academic success.
Nathan Terry, Program Manager
304-366-4550, Ext. 108
Help promote the program to others: