Application Virtual Information Session (Mandatory)
January 10, 2023
Applications Due Date
Friday, March 10, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
No late applications will be accepted.
March 28 - April 14
Funded Partner Contract Due
June 30, 2023
July 1, 2023
Important Application Updates and Requirements
Tygart Valley United Way fights for the education, health, and financial stability of every person in our community. That is only possible through meaningful partnerships with local non-profit agencies.
Each year, a committee of community volunteers reviews agency applications and recommends agencies to our Board of Directors for funding.
An agency being considered for United Way support must meet United Way eligibility requirements. If any agency does not meet the eligibility requirements, it will not be considered for funding. Therefore, we ask that you review the following information prior to submitting an application.
The agency must sign and agree to adhere to the Funded Partner Contract which explains requirements in greater detail. A copy of this document is available from United Way upon request. However, the items listed below will provide you with a good overview of what will be required and expected of you as a United Way funded partner.
The following are eligibility requirements and expectations for participating organizations:
- The agency must have attended mandatory Application Information Session, which was held on January 10, 2023;
- The agency must be a local non-profit organization with federal tax-exempt status under IRS code 501(C)(3); other non-profit organizations may be considered if other requirements are met;
- The agency’s management must be vested in a soundly constituted volunteer Board of Directors, large enough to be properly representative, which meets at least quarterly, and which in actual fact, assumes the responsibility and accountability to the public for the governance of the agency;
- The agency must render a service which meets a demonstrated human need; its programs must be of quality and quantity which will justify present and proposed expenditures; its hours of service must be such to meet the needs of the people served; its facilities must be adequate for the purpose for which they are maintained; intake policy and limit of service, geographic and otherwise, must be clearly defined;
- The agency must have adequate liability insurance coverage for organization, staff, board, and volunteers;
- The agency must provide services without discrimination based on race, sex, creed, age, color, sexual orientation, handicap, or national origin;
- The agency shall use only those methods of securing other income which are in accord with United Way’s policy on Supplemental Fundraising;
- Organizations with $250,000 or more in annual revenue, as reported on the IRS Form 990, are required to submit an annual audit of fiscal operations by an independent certified public accountant in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS). The audited financial statements and IRS Form 990 cover the same fiscal period that ended not more than 18 months prior to January 2023 (i.e. ending on or after June 30, 2021).
- Organizations with total revenue $100,000 to $249,999 in annual revenue, as reported on the IRS Form 990, can elect to submit a full audit or Financial Review completed by an independent certified public accountant in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS). The audit or financial review and IRS Form 990 cover the same fiscal period that ended not more than 18 months prior to January 2023 (i.e. ending on or after June 30, 2021);
- Organizations with a total revenue under $100,000 in annual revenue, as reported on the IRS Form 990, can elect to submit a compilation of profit and loss statements for the most recent 12 months, along with a letter certifying the statements by someone in fiscal governance with the authority to legally bind the organization;
- The agency shall cooperate with other agencies in preventing a duplication of effort and in promoting effective service, efficiency and economy of administration;
- The agency must utilize all opportunities to inform the public of the mutual values of United Way agency relationships to the community and to identify itself in every practical manner as a recipient of community support through the United Way through display of United Way insignia on its property, offices, stationary, publications, and through other procedures that would be mutually beneficial in the promotion of United Way;
- The agency must have a plan for organization and operation which is satisfactory to the United Way, operate on a sound financial basis and maintain an adequate system of records and reports covering both its services and finances;
- The agency must make effective use of volunteers, wherever possible, consistent with its program;
- If the agency employs staff, they must be qualified by training and/or experience to carry on an effective program;
- The agency must be registered with the Secretary of State of West Virginia and must file all applicable forms with the state and IRS.
All applicants are required to have or create an account to complete and submit your application. Keep your user name and password handy so that you can "save a draft" and return to complete your submission. Also this user name and password will continue to be used for agency reporting and future applications. Please ensure your user name is reflective of your agency.
- LOGIN HERE (If you already have a user name and password)
- CREATE AN ACCOUNT (New users only - an email will be sent to you)
- RESET YOUR PASSWORD (if your email has been used previously, you can reset your password)
- LOGOUT (Be sure to log out once you have saved your draft or submitted your application)
- RETURN TO MY APPLICATION (If you have saved a previous draft of your incomplete application)
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Do not leave any blanks; enter N/A if not applicable. You will receive an email within 24 hours indicating that your materials have been received. If you do not receive this email, it is your responsibility to follow-up on the status of your submission.
Questions or more information, please contact:
Casey Gilbert- Community Impact Director
304-366-4550, Ext. 102